PV Sindhu was born on 5 July 1995 in Hyderabad, India. She is a professional badminton player and currently ranked world No.19 in women’s singles category. The 21-year-old Indian star shuttler has created history by becoming the first Indian to reach the finals in the badminton event at the Olympics. Even though she lost the final to world No.1 Carolina Marin after a well-fought match of 21-19, 12-21, 15-21, she became the first Indian shuttler to win an Olympic silver medal.
So here presenting you 10 interesting facts you should know about PV Sindhu.
1. Her full name is Pusarla Venkata Sindhu
2. She hails from a sports background family. Her parents were professional volleyball players.
3. Sindhu took up badminton at the age 8, she used to travel 50+ Kms every day to reach her training centre in Hyderabad.
4. After being inspired by Pullela Gopichand’s success, she chose Badminton. Presently, Gopichand is her coach.
5. She won the World Badminton Championship 2 times in a row in 2013 & 2014. Sindhu has also won Macau Grand Prix Open three times in a row.
6. She announced her arrival by beating gold medalist of London Olympics Li Xuerui
She gradually won several tournaments at the national level.
7. PV Sindhu is the youngest Indian to win an Olympic medal.
8. She received Arjuna Award at an age of just 18-years.
9. Sindhu is the first and only India shuttler to reach finals of badminton event at the Olympics.
10. Sindhu was awarded India’s fourth highest civilian award Padma Shri for her contribution to badminton.
Image Source: Google Images
Share your views in the comments section below.