Sourav Ganguly’s full name is Sourav Chandidas Ganguly. He was born on 8th July 1972 in Calcutta, West Bengal. Ganguly is considered as most successful captain India had ever had. He is currently serving as the President of CAB and the President of Wisden India’s Editorial board. He is the 3rd batsman to reach the 10,000 runs mark in ODI cricket and is considered as one of the greatest ODI players of all time. 8th of July 2016 marks his 44th birthday.
So here presenting you 10 Interesting facts about the Prince of Kolkata.
1. His parents nicknamed him as “Maharaj” and Geoffrey Boycott coined the name “Prince of Kolkata”
2. Ganguly was actually right-handed, for the sake of convenience, he became left-handed and also he could use his brother’s cricket gear.
Guess what, after 20 years he is widely regarded as the greatest left-handed batsman in the world. He writes and eats with right hand only.
3. Sourav is the only cricketer to win 4 consecutive Man of the Match Awards in ODIs
4. He was a huge football fan in his childhood.
5. Ganguly is deeply religious and fasts every Tuesday.
6. Ganguly is known for backing youngsters. Sehwag turned into an opener upon Sourav’s insistence only
Not only Sehwag, he also encouraged Harbhajan Singh, Yuvraj Singh, Md. Kaif, MS Dhoni and many others.
7. Javagal Srinath came back from retirement thrice on Sourav’s insistence
He also took a brave step by playing Rahul Dravid as a wicketkeeper so that an extra specialist batsman will get an opportunity.
8. Ganguly has scored 16 Test centuries and none of them resulted in a loss for India, a rare record by the legend.
9. Dada had eloped with his childhood friend Dona after returning from his debut tour of England.
10. Ganguly has 22 ODI tons, 18 of them are scored outside India.
Here are some of his records:
Image Source : Google Images
Share your views in the comments section below.