Olympics or the Modern Olympic games are the international sporting events. Thousand’s of athletes takes part in a variety of sports competitions. These are conducted in different categories like summer,winter, summer paralympic, winter paralympic, winter youth, summer youth etc. With more than 200 countries taking part in it, the Olympic games are considered as the world’s biggest sports competition as . They are held once in four years.
2016 Summer Olympics will be the 28th edition and are scheduled to be held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. So here presenting you 10 facts you didn’t know about Olympic games.
1. The first edition of Olympic games was held in Athens 1896 under International Olympic committee
2. With 2012 London Olympics, London has become the only city to host 3 different Olympics
1908, 1948 and 2012 Olympic games were held in London.
3. James Connoly of America won the first medal of the Olympics in 1896
At that time, winner’s prize was a silver medal and olive leaf.
4. The Gold medals which are presented to the winners are not purely Gold.
They are silver medals with a gold coating.
5. At the age of 60, Oscar Swahn is the oldest person to win an Olympic medal
In 1908, Swahn contested in his first ever Olympics and won a medal in Shooting.
6. Dimitrios Loundras is the youngest person to win a medal at Olympics. He won at the age of 10 years & 218 days.
7. With a total of 2681 medals at Olympics, United States has won most medals by any other country
No other country has won half that of the USA. This list includes both Summer & Winter Olympic medals.
8. Michael Phelps of America has won most medals at the Olympics, 22 medals in swimming category
His tally includes 18 Gold medals, 2 Silver medals & 2 Bronze medals.
9. Leander Paes is set to participate in his 7th consecutive Olympics, most by any person
Leander Paes has also won a bronze medal in the singles event at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics. He is the only Indian tennis player to win a medal at the Olympics.
10. India has won a total of 26 medals at the Olympics
Tally includes 9 Gold medals, 6 Silver medals & 11 Bronze medals.
Image Source: Google Images
Share your views in the comments section below.