Indian Railways is one of the largest Railway Networks in the World. Railways cover the whole of India and consists of 1,15,000 km of railway track. It covers about 65,436 km along with 7,172 Railway Stations present in different parts of the country. Indian Railways has a Glory of 162 years which was founded on 16th April 1853. Indian Railways headquarters are located in New Delhi. Indian Railways is divided into 17 Railway Zones. Indian Railways also operates in some regions of Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Nepal.
Here Presenting you 11 Astonishing Facts about Indian Railways.
1. One Railway Station present in two states
The railway station of Navapur is built in two states, half in Maharashtra and the rest is in Gujarat.
2. Shortest route – 3 km
The shortest distance covered between two successive stations is 3 kilometers. This route is between Nagpur and Ajni stations.
3. Longest running train – Vivek Express
The longest running train is Vivek Express and it covers a distance of 4723 km between Dibrugarh and Kanyakumari.
4. Most irregular train is Guwahati – Trivandrum Express
Guwahati-Trivandrum Express is the least punctual and most unreliable train in Indian Railways. On an average, it delays ten to twelve hours.
5. Smallest station name
The station with the smallest name is Ib, near Jharsuguda in Odisha.
6. Longest station name
The station with the longest name is “Venkatanarasimharajuvaripeta”.
7. Elephants were used to position the cartridges in olden days
8. IRCTC website gets close to 12 Lakh hits per minute
9. The total distance traveled by 14,300 trains on the Indian Railways every day is equal to three and half times the distance to moon
10. Indian Railways provides employment to 1.6 Million
11. A loco pilot of Rajdhani Express earns around 1 Lakh per month
Share your views in the comments section below.
Image Source: Google Images